Saturday, April 18, 2009

Lucky Boy

Just a few days ago I had thrifty luck of a different kind - I found something, that I knew would make Lewis very happy. I'm talking about padded camouflage overalls. Long sleeves, warm and the perfect size, too!

-- As suspected, he was thrilled, could hardly wait for them to come out of the dryer, and put them on right away. For about 5 minutes... it was one of the warmer days last week.


Then came Friday, and with it came snow! So right after school he got all geared up, overalls, shovel, gloves, army hat, walkie talkie, and headed out in the arroyo behind our house, a boy's heaven, wilderness!
This is how he looked like, when he came home once in between, please note the legs and formerly blue shoes!

There he goes again!



He came back in for dinner about an hour later, now look at this!






He really had smudges on his face!
He headed off to take a hot bath and left this arrangement by the door:



I pulled the walkie talkie out of the pocket, -- I'm not sure, if it is still working. Well, we've had it for about two weeks now. Isn't that the average lifespan for a boy toy (legos being the exception of the rule of course)?



Today, during breakfast, the mountains performed one of their typical spectacular dramas, which made me run for the camera to capture:



Once again I am grateful to live here, not just in Albuquerque, but also in our beautiful house in such a perfect location, close to the trails, to unstructured outdoors, yet close to city life. My children have the chance to experience nature in a very basic way, by digging and being out there, just like I did when I grew up in Germany!

Brother, do you remember how we dug hide outs in that open area close to our house, that was called "Matra Wiese"? We even had candles down there... But that is a different story.

Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Dagmar; your family is truly blessed to be right where you are. I can't imagine a more perfect place for a boy to grow up.

    The walkie talkie is fabulous---

    ReplyDelete