Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Happy Birthday

Today my daddy would turn 70.

I think there are only two pictures that show him as a baby.

He grew up with three brothers.

He met my mother at a dance when he was real young. They got engaged when he was 18.

A match made in heaven. He loved her with all his heart.

When he was about 40 he turned his life style around. He quit smoking, became a dedicated runner and lost about 50 lbs.

He was a marathon runner.
He did not live to fulfill his dream to run the NYC Marathon.

He kept himself always busy, he hardly ever stood still or sat down. He always worked in his beautiful garden and he had a passion for hunting down cheap antiques and restoring them.

I scored two of the beautiful pieces and treasure them. They have traveled across the ocean with me.

He had an artist in him, too, and carved faces in wood for a while.

He had a fierce love for his family, but he could not always show it.

He adored his grandchildren.

He was the ultimate grandfather.

He had his secrets, too.
He once gave me this Zippo lighter, which I used for a long time, and I got the impression, that there was a special story connected to it.

He never told me.

Eight years ago he had to go.

Happy birthday, daddy. I miss you so so much. It never goes away.


4 comments:

  1. Dag,
    What precious photos and memories of your father! He certainly left too soon. My Dad was 66 when he died in 1991. You are so right that missing them never leaves.
    Keeping you close in friendship and thoughts!
    Hugs!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you don't have your dad with you - I love all the old photos! That one with them on the bike is awesome! love it. And the next one - holy schmoly - I can't believe how much Fiona looks like your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely remembrance. I adore that he wore grandbabies in carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i loved this. especially:

    He had a fierce love for his family, but he could not always show it.

    ReplyDelete