Friday, February 20, 2009

And Yellow - day 5

The yellow that I find in the kids' rooms is both amusing and sometimes saddening to me.

There is this vintage crewelwork, which made my daughter declare that she wants to collect "these" pictures, vintage embroidered animals.

The little purse is probably more special to me than to her, because it was one of the real early things I made for her.
I knitted and felted it, when she could barely walk... Did she use it? Not much. But still.
Special. And cute. Great colors, gotta love yellow and orange...!

Curious George. No child's bookshelf is complete without him.

Our huge Brio collection is still out to be played with, sad reminder of how fast the children grow. Our son was into trains, when he was somewhere between 2 and 3 years old.
He was especially fascinated with all the intersections and we (as in the parents and grandparents), went nuts (yes, I admit it, we were a very serious case of the first-child/grandchild-spoiler-disease) in getting him all possible variations of those, just because it made him happy.
Now the kids play with the set maybe once a month, covering the hallway with a complicated net of tracks. And "der Weg ist das Ziel", which means that they enjoy setting it up more than actually using it.
This particular piece belongs to a 5 track trainstation and was a very lucky cheap thrift store catch.



Drumroll for the grand finale, yellow week would in no way be complete without the New Mexican flag, plentyful found in my house, since I so fell in love with New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment, that truly enchanted me after we moved here in 2007!

This sticker on my car was given to my by a friend in Germany, Uwe, who traveled in New Mexico before I moved.
He really knew what I was getting into, while I was still in the dark...
Thanks again, Uwe!


This patch is still waiting for its perfect purpose.


Once I found this I gave my old Adidas keyband to my son. No regrets.



Naturally there is this on my car as well.

Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. So cheery, this yellow; I'm trying to get my head around how it might provoke sadness at times. McDonald's and Burger King know that it enhances appetite... I love this post; your blog is really beautiful.

    Its really such a gift you're giving L and F growing up surrounded by appreciation for color and handcrafts. As hard as I try myself I find it really takes much more than I'm able to to do to hold back the forces of mass-production and associated consumerism. That your little F would aspire to collect vintage crewel work at her young age is really quite something.

    As are you, dear one. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made pretty yellow lemon marmalade yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dag, cooles Schlüsselband, need it :-)

    Doris

    ReplyDelete