Friday, February 27, 2009

Vintage ... Friday

Just a week ago I came upon a beautyqueen in the Goodwill clearance section.
I saw her, checked her shape and decided instantly that I had to have her. I paid $5. Yep, you read it right, five dolores... I paid happily.


May I present the new Queen of the Fireplace!




The linen fabric is in great shape, just needed a good steam cleaning. Isn't she gorgeous?




Since Friday is also Vintage Photo Friday (thanks, Tracey) my choice of the day is another beautyqueen.

This is a picture of my Greataunt Kaethe (in English you'd say "Katie"). I was very close to her, even closer than to my Grandmother, her sister. What makes her even more special, is that she, too, was born and raised in Germany and lived in the USA later in life, just like me.

She looks so beautiful, and she was a beautiful person inside and out! She made almost all her clothes by herself and sewed a lot for the whole family, especially greatnieces and nephews. She lived in the USA when times were rough after WW II in Germany and she always sent goodies for the family. Just recently my Mom told me, that my Grandfather loved coffee and she would regularly send him some, when at that time no one else in that small town had any!

I don't know when the photo was taken or how old she was, but do so much wish I knew more or could talk to her now! I miss her!

6 comments:

  1. Dag - My jealousy is flaring up! 5 bucks for that fabulously amazing super cool chair??!!!!! Oi Vey!
    I am glad it went to someone who will appreciate it, if not me! :)

    I love the photo of your Greataunt Kaethe, very beautiful and from your words it seems like she was a very thoughtful woman.

    Thanks for playing along with Vintage Photo Friday! Looking forward to what you come up with next!
    Cheers,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your greataunt is beautiful! The photo is in such good shape! I know the feeling of wanting to talk to someone who is gone...I feel that about my mother so often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love the chair! What a great buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to tag along with you when you go thrift shopping - I always get to Goodwill before they've opened the clearance section and there are crowds lined up to get in and I don't have the nerve to join them!
    Beautiful chair!!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suppiiiiii,

    was für ein Stuhl, wo hast du ihn her? Klasse
    Freu mich schon auf ihm zu sitzen.

    Love it Doris

    ReplyDelete